Wednesday, April 4, 2007

New card, new project!


Well, we had another great group last week, and I did get to complete a second response to the art project "Total Opposites". At first thought, color came to mind, and when I think of opposites in color, right away I think of black and white. Now since I usually work with the figure and keeping in mind black and white, I ended up planning an interracial couple. As a second part of the total opposite project, the symbol of yin and yang kept coming up. I decided to do a interracial couple and have their arms hopefully create a yin and yang feel in their design. At first I was worried this card would be too suggestive for my web site, but I'm going to give it a try anyway. I have the site set up in categories and I'm sure this one will find a restful home in one of them!
Again there were many great pieces of art at this month's meeting, but the one which wins my own personal grand prize was done by a woman in response to the project "Total Opposites". (nobody did the project "Bargain Basement") She started out with an old hollow piece of log pulled directly from the woods. One end had an old dead oak leaf draped over the edge of the log, three acorns trapped on top of the hollow area, one of which had started to sprout showing the fresh green leaves of a new baby oak tree, and as a surprise to the viewer when you looked into the other end of the hollow log, hiding in the shadows and camouflaged amongst the brown tones of nature was an alert but hiding spring peeper frog. Except for the log itself, everything else - the leaves, the acorns, the baby tree and the frog were all photo realistically sculpted. She uses a air drying clay called "das", available at most craft/art supply stores. The piece was amazing and beautiful and represented the "Total Opposites" of life and death. Death being the log itself and life being the newly sprouted tree!
The next group project will keep you thinking awhile, but the act of walking around and living our life with the idea of a project in our head is probably the biggest part of the creative process, after that it's just execution. The project is: "The past will intrude upon the present." Hope you have fun with it!

No comments: